Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Back to Square One (written about 2 weeks ago)

A week ago we were headed for destinations north in New Mexico. We made it only about 50 miles from Truth or Consequences when we discovered another issue with the trailer. A side panel had come out of the S-lock.
yep, duct taped together
A call to the manufacturer and we were told we needed to return to Tucson.... DAYUM! So frustrating.


To make the best of it, we chose to take scenic byways and what extraordinary country we passed through. However, I am still struggling with the windy, twisty mountain roads with no guard rails and sheer drop offs with 10mph u-turn turns! I wish I could just relax into it. There's so much to see and do out here. We will only scratch the surface.
VLA (Very Large Array) out on U.S. 60 in New Mexico

Unbeknownst to us the way the trailer and car were riding, all kinds of problems were developing. The car was nose up and we were not riding level. The trailer was just being shaken apart. In the end, we would be very grateful that we returned to Tucson. There was no real way to know, (though I am not entirely sold about that, Gerard kept questioning how the car looked before we pulled away the first time). Anyways, the cabinets were coming apart from the ceiling,
cabinets falling down
the outside panel had come apart, we were still having issues with the hybrid bed arms and finally, on our first boondocking experience in the Dragoon Mts, the pipe to the grey water tank separated from the tank.
bolted hybrid door arms

grey water pipe separated from tank



No way this would all be fixed in a day. We spent one night at LaQuinta as we were too tired to drive to Phoenix and be rescued by family. (I should be really racking up those LaQuinta points) They would need to keep the trailer for 5 days. My aunt and uncle (Ronnie and Chuck)came to the rescue and we had a soft place to fall. We continue to be shunpikers and took the state highway through a beautiful blooming desert.

What a wonderful visit all ways around. They took us to dinner and 2-stepping, but we didn't venture out on the dance floor with all those cowboy hats. Had a great visit with my cousin Matthew who cooked up a fabulous steak dinner.
We also and made a drive up to Prescott to visit my girlfriend Mary We had a great day catching up and fabulous sushi lunch at her husband Jerry's favorite haunt.

Once we returned to Tucson, as I suspected, it wouldn't be easy getting back on the road. The trailer was in good shape. They had jacked it up so we have higher clearance and installed a load leveler. Fixed the cabinets and figured out that the hybrid bed arms had been installed incorrectly, so that is what was causing the latches to fail. Just as we were leaving a part on our car failed and a new tail light splitter had to be installed. It took 6 hours to get out of there. We made it to our campground just before dark. (Up a dirt mountain road...geesh).
Peppersauce Canyon Campground was a pretty spot up on Mt. Lemon about 50 miles from Tucson. We were the only ones there...well the only ones camped there. Unfortunately, there was a boys behavior camp at the end of the campground. Early morning traffic of shift change was a certain surprise. I realized the drive to Holbrook would just be too much so I convinced Gerard to pack up and head to Globe, AZ up Hwy 77 to break it up. I just can't pull through these mountains and cover much ground. I found a conservation corp campground to go to, unfortunately, there is no camping allowed there anymore, after having missed the turn and realizing we were heading up the mountain on a dirt narrow road with no way to turn around. I was a basket case and I bailed. I called the Chamber of Commerce who had given us directions and was told there was a wide space up top the mountain where GERARD could turn around.
up the mountain he goes while I hang back quaking in my shoes
Seriously, I was shaking and in tears. When Gerard came down the mountain, he said I had made a wise choice to get out of the car. My brave man saved the day! The Chamber told us the fairgrounds had a campground. Turned out it was perfect. Yes, big parking lot but amazing mountain views and prison view, but no complaints as we had full hookups and wifi for $10 a night because they didn't come collect the money for the 3rd night!


so we also had a view of the prison... interesting to say the least

parking lot camping at the fairgrounds... not a bad view

I can now say we are officially back on the road. We hope to be in New Mexico again maybe in two more days.
Historic Dominion Copper Mine

downtown Globe, Az

Chotchkie heaven

I've never seen this purple glass



Tonto National Monument
Ruins of the Saldado people at Tonto Nat'l Monument

Tonto National Monument with Roosevelt Lake in the distance
Movin' me down the highway
Rollin' me down the highway
Movin' ahead so life won't pass me by





4 comments:

  1. Did U guys get the uneven car to trailer situation solved? If not, U might check into having air bags installed on Ur car, they work great. We had them installed on our Toyota Sienna van & they are awesome! U can air them up to increase load level, or deflate them a little for a smoother ride. We did that when we had our 14' KZ Sportsmen camper, the one we traded in for our Lance camper.
    Happy trails to U both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gregg... we did. They got us all fixed up and jacked the trailer up ... so no bottoming out and added load levelers at no cost to us.
      We are in ABQ today. We are going to head to Bottomless lakes to escape the cool front coming in this weekend... but as you know there is no escaping the wind.

      Delete
  2. Where R U guys now? & what's the latest adventure news? DeeJay tells me U've had even more problems now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that our youngest daughter, Nicole, who lives in Big Lake, MN has stage 4 colon cancer & it's spread to her liver. We aren't quite sure how that will effect our MN time when we get there. It will all depend on her condition then.

    ReplyDelete