Thursday, May 15, 2014

A Perfect Storm

May 6, 2014

Now in reflection, I do think it was a calamity of events that created the fiasco with the trailer. In hindsight, we can see the lack of attention to some small details that set this storm in motion….not seeing the way the car was riding before we left (so that we were riding unlevel)…. not doing a quality control on their sheet metal vendor. However, I have to give Kickin' Kampers what's due and they did come to the rescue and repair and add equipment and no cost to us as well as drive 1000 miles to repair the siding… so grateful we didn't have to make that drive. Everything now seems to be in good order and we are enjoying our time out on the road, not that we weren't before. Gerard is anxious to get back and I am still loving being a gypsy. We are both finding satisfaction in our last  couple weeks… Gerard sees us getting closer to home and I am thrilled with the decision of seeing the sights along the way on Route 66.

Our last hoorah in New Mexico was at Ute Lake State Park. Probably my least favorite park, even though we were able to find a sweet spot on the edge of the lake all to ourselves. New Mexico said goodbye to us with a storm we didn't expect to experience. While eating dinner, we felt the wind kick up and watched out over the lake, being rather leisurely with our meal. We could see the sand cloud forming. Being from northern Minnesota, we had no clue what it would be like if that cloud, called a haboob hit us!
We were eating sand within minutes and there was sand everywhere.
countertop covered in sand
Not a fun experience. After cleaning it all up, we could see another haboob forming on the other side of the lake. We were able to close up the tent end and windows and wait out another 2 sand storms before the wind died down.  Now, every time we move the trailer, more sand filters down out of who knows where because I cleaned and cleaned. I guess I'll be bringing the desert home with me. What I will be happy to leave behind is the unrelenting wind.
bedroom window view Ute Lake


"So you wanna play with magic
Boy, you should know what you're falling for
Baby do you dare to do this?
Cause I’m coming at you like a dark horse
Are you ready for, ready for
A perfect storm, perfect storm
Cause once you’re mine, once you’re mine
There’s no going back"
~Katy Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment