I have been remiss in getting the journey wrapped up in words and pics. Coming home was bittersweet. I miss the traveling, but it's good to be in my big bed and to see the rest of my furry babies. We arrived at the coming of spring....again! We witnessed spring unfolding 6 different times since March. Spring is Gerard's favorite season and the fact that Duluth has little or no spring until June, well....this trip was a fabulous treat. We are entering the second week of June and the lilacs are just blooming here up north. We are still a week or more before the peonies open.
I think we last left you in St. Louis. I was so surprised at how much I liked the western communities– Kirkwood and Webster Groves.
 |
| Hansel and Gretel houses |
 |
| I fell in love with these houses! |
A number of the communities or as they are called City of... City of Kirkwood, City of Webster Groves, City of Frontenac.... feel like small town America. There are 79 different neighborhoods with their own distinctive style and characteristics. I particularly liked Soulard a mini New Orleans. I loved the daily farmer's market in Soulard. I especially enjoyed hanging out with my sister and playing in her garden at her home in Kirkwood.
 |
| Laumeier Sculpture Park |
I will miss taking walks and exploring the parks in and around the area. I look forward to heading back down. We have entertained the idea of storing OZ down that way so we don't have to travel so far next March through the snow and ice.
 |
| School of Rock in Kirkwood... hmmm there is a striking resemblance to someone |
 |
| Built in 1932 Odell, Illinois |
Crossing the Mississippi put us in the Land of Lincoln. Illinois is where the "Mother Road" begins–in Chicago. Route 66 is a compelling story that begins in Chicago as a gateway to an "end" in the Great America West. A story of modern American mobility and freedom. The road gave birth to service stations, diners and of course all this kitschy roadside attractions I have been making you endure while following our journey. Route 66 is arguably one of the most famous roadways in the world. As I may have mentioned before, I was continually surprised by all those we met from across the globe who came just to make the drive.
 |
| Pontiac, Illinois |
For over 50 years, between 1926 and 1977, U.S. highway 66 was the principal roadway that connected Illinois with the Great West. The road continues to be an inspiration for artists, authors, film makers and musicians. The power and romance continue to be discovered.
 |
| Murals on Main Street in Pontiac, Illinois |
The Mother Road was deemed obsolete in Illinois as much of it had been replaced by Interstate 55. The entire road was decommissioned on June 27, 1985. However, the travelers who make the journey continue to keep it alive and there are many restoration and preservation groups who keep the cultural icon alive and thriving.
Not far past Joliet, Illinois, we left the Route and headed on to Hoffman Estates, Illinois to visit with the family. Although, we were a number of days from being home.... we just stopped the kicks on 66.
 |
| Polk-a-dot Drive-In Braiwood, Illinois |
 |
| Polk-a-dot Drive-In Braiwood, Illinois |
 |
| Polk-a-dot Drive-In Braiwood, Illinois |
 |
| Polk-a-dot Drive-In Braiwood, Illinois |
Until we check the oil and tire pressure and buckle up again.... the great road adventure is just about over.
No comments:
Post a Comment