June 9-11, 2015
Time to be moving on up the road. We had choices about which route to takenorth , but I am not much interested in interstate. In our present condition of needing service soon, sometimes I just have to give in to making time . However, on the morning of the 9th, thunderstorms and strong rain were in the forecast. To get ourselves out of the storm's way, we would have to hit some interstate. I did not want to get on too soon as we would miss crossing the world's longest bridge over water. Lake Ponchatrain Causeway spans 24 miles over water! Most of the drive there is no land in sight.
We thought we would spend an evening, midway to Memphis, but it made no sense spending time sitting around in the heat of the day, 96ยบ 100% humidity at a state park. We kept making tracks north. Our evening destination would be technically West Memphis, in Arkansas. I so wanted to go to the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, but once again, what do we do with animals in this heat? I am so disappointed regarding the sights and sites we are missing along the way. Next year we will need to plan more carefully about escaping the southern heat. Leave a little earlier?

Once we neared Vicksburg we vacated the I-55 and I-20 for U.S. Highway 61 running north to Memphis and skipped over to Highway 1, both roads forming the legendary route along the Mississippi River delivering a delicious slice of Americana represented by a genre of music known as the Delta blues.
Time to be moving on up the road. We had choices about which route to take
We thought we would spend an evening, midway to Memphis, but it made no sense spending time sitting around in the heat of the day, 96ยบ 100% humidity at a state park. We kept making tracks north. Our evening destination would be technically West Memphis, in Arkansas. I so wanted to go to the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, but once again, what do we do with animals in this heat? I am so disappointed regarding the sights and sites we are missing along the way. Next year we will need to plan more carefully about escaping the southern heat. Leave a little earlier?
| The Great River Road |
The original road began in downtown New Orleans, traveled through Baton Rouge and ran through Natchez,
Between Vicksburg and Greenville the Great River Road detours onto Highway 1 through the cotton-rich
| Winterville Mounds |
I have loved that each night we have landed on a large body of water to set camp. We passed through Memphis and crossed the Mississippi into Arkansas to camp on the banks of the river.
We are still struggling with being locked inside the OZ mobile. At this site mayflies swarmed the vehicle...
He must know |
| Crossing the Mississippi River into Memphis, Tennessee |
At this point we were running low on coolant and needed to head to a dealership to replenish before spending the day traveling to Illinois.
Within 3 hours we crossed from Arkansas back into Tennessee and a few minutes later we were back in Mississippi and back through Memphis, Tennessee to cross the Missouri and Illinois borders not long after.
We were sure we didn't want to spend days in St. Louis, where we would be able to get service from Roadtrek so we kept trying to make contact with the manufacturer and get approval to land in Rockford, Illinois.
Finally, making that connection we continue our journey to Carlyle, Illinois.
We'll fill you in on the details of OZ Mobile's future in our next post. Until then


No comments:
Post a Comment