Sunday, May 1, 2016

Itchy tuck knees, my yaks and what do you mean O’Leno… where’s Sven?

Post dating back to April 1, 2016

river hike in O'Leno State Park
 Yes, Florida has some strange sounding names of places. Oh, O’Leno! What a pretty state park. This park is located on the Santa Fe River six miles north of High Springs on U.S. 441 just 28 miles north of Gainesville. The park is made up of sinkholes, hardwood hammocks, river swamps and sandhills.  If there is ever a next time, I would choose the Magnolia campground closer to the river. But our spot was good enough and oh mother of all state park bath houses! Clean, new, beautifully tiled, hot water and pressure, benches, and plenty of hooks. It’s the little things, right? Our campsite being two miles from the river allowed Sitka and me to cover six miles a day on extremely picturesque trails. Once down to the river with a current moving at a pretty good clip, we followed the trail to the river sink. The river just seemingly ends, stops, disappears. It does just that disappears underground in a sinkhole for three miles and reappears at a spot they call the River Rise. Oh the wonders of nature.
At the river sink

the river sink... river just disappears
Driving in, we passed Ichetucknee Springs State Park. While at Manatee Springs, we were told if you have the chance stop at Ichetucknee, DO IT. On arrival at O’Lenol, we set up camp and back-tracked to Ichetucknee by car. The Ichetucknee River is crystal clear and contains eight major springs The head spring of the river was declared a National Natural Landmark. There are no motorized boats allowed and it is the most pristine spring-fed river. There is no camping here, but ample opportunity to see manatee, beaver, raccoons, alligators and every other sort of wildlife. The Blue Hole is an underwater cave where one can dive more than 40 feet below the surface.
Blue Hole at Ichetucknee Springs
One of our days in the area we took a drive down the backroads into Gainesville. There is a Trader Joes! Time to replenish supplies. I was surprised to discover horse country. Massive estates and rolling greens with every kind of show and race horse.
Leaving O’Leno, I so wanted to explore more of
the backroads on my way down to Myakka River State Park. No dull interstate for me and oh lordy, I-75 is some boring stretch of road. Staying off the beaten path is the only way to experience the beauty and uniqueness of an area.  On the way out of High Springs and shortly after Gainesville is the town of Micanopy (pronounced: mick-an-o-pee). Glad someone schooled me before I said My canopy.

Micanopy is a town that time forgot. Established in the early 1800s, this town played pivotal roles in the Seminole Wars and the Civil War. It was named for a short time Fort Defiance. Some of the bloodiest battles of the second Seminole War took place here. Originally the town was named after a Seminole chief. Not much has changed in many of the buildings they look much as they did from that bygone era. It is a sleepy, peaceful, antique haven.
Micanopy


Micanopy
Micanopy
Micanopy
Micanopy...see my car? Looks like I'm the only one in town

Micanopy

The home of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings is here. You would know her if you read The Yearling or Cross Creek.  The house is a museum and is on Cross Creek.
along County Rd 475
I continued down U.S. 441, turning off onto 25A and landed myself smack dab in the middle of Ocala, Florida’s mall. How fortuitous to get lost. I got myself on 27th Ave and noticed I was going straight south. Seemed as good of a road as any to get me out of dodge, (Ocala). Soon I noticed I was on County Road 475, driving under tree canopies lining the road through the prettiest horse country I have ever seenmove over Kentucky. It is not unusual to see people on horseback trotting alongside roads in this region. If you are a gear head you could stop in to Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing and Antique Cars. It is run by Don Garlits himself. I just mosied on down the road. Gerard took a different path (I-75) and was way ahead of me. I still had another 4 hours to go on my current trajectory.

Myakka River
Eventually, the skies let loose and gave us quite the lightening show before Sitka and I arrived at Myakka River State Park just east of Sarasota, Florida.  Gerard had camp all set up and we were able just to escape out of the storm. 
Myakka is one of the oldest and largest river state parks. It flows through 58 square miles of wetlands, prairies, hammocks and pinelands. There are beautiful trails that take you through all of these diverse areas. It is a haven for kayakers. If the distances seem daunting, you can even cover territory by going out on an airboat.
Alligators abound in this park, so maybe staying close to shore will feel safer for some. Next visit, I will bring the kayak for sure.








































This is it…. the last 5 days of the Old Florida Extravaganza. We will land at WP Franklin, a Civil Corps of Engineers Camp at the locks on the Caloosahatchee River. This camp is approximately 10 miles from home. Wow, home. We sold the Duluth house… so yes, Cape Coral will be home. It will give us a chance to regroup, pick up our mail, lighten our load (drop stuff off at our garage) and get our taxes off to the accountant. Better late than never. 
campsite at W.P Franklin

you can pull your boat up to camp.. plug in and let your boat rock you to sleep

llamas running to see Sitka... they were so curious






aren't they adorable?

5 days to watch the boats head through the locks on the Caloosahatchee River




So that's it folks... 2 months... come and gone. Still ...we have barely scratched the surface of all there is to explore in Florida. The next trip will have us venture north to close up the Duluth book of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment