Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Time to Chill... Need Your Sage Advice

mailboz to match the front door
The new house is surpassing our expectations and we can't get over we have our own pool! After a day of painting, decorating, building shelves and storage we are thrilled to cool off from this unrelenting heat. I am glad to be unpacked and settling in. Gerard continues to set up shop in the garage in 100º+ heat. I tried to talk him into a portable air conditioner for out there. I think maybe he is just trying to acclimate to our southern environ. Sitka and I are not doing so well.  We leave for walks at barely daybreak. He just doesn't want to venture more than a mile. A good day we only make it 2 miles. I am grateful to be spending the rest of my days painting and nesting in the air conditioning.
we're getting settled in

All of you in the Midwest are about to see the mercury drop and I am envious. I am getting ready to take Sitka to high country so we can hike and move around.  The heat and humidity down here keep us holed up inside.
This will be my first solo long trip. Gerard is content to take care of the kitties and take care of the homestead... still lots to do. I am excited to get on the road and the ZiOsmobile needs to be put through its paces to make sure all systems are still working.

Last year, we tried to head down the Eastern Seaboard, but Daniel....got in our way... Hurricane Daniel. I was going to head up the coast now.. but folks have been encouraging me to reverse my trip and start out with the Georgia, North Carolina and West Virginia high country... then hit the coast as temps are bound to drop in September.

Here's my loosely planned trajectory and if anyone has suggestions and recommendations, I would be ever so grateful:

My first day I will be off to explore Mt. Dora. It is one of those little finds to which adjectives like quaint and quiet were put in the dictionary.  I need to go wandering in little antique and junk shops. From there I will head into the Ocala National Forest for an overnight or two at one of the springs. Has anyone ever been? Do you have a favorite?... Ginny Springs, Alexander Springs or Salt Springs? The deal is the water is 72º ... guaranteed to cool us off.

Trying to keep the driving to 2-5 hours on any given day so I can stop and explore. A little more than 1/2  way up Goergia, I'll overnight at Magnolia Springs State Park. I can't get enough of crystal clear water. It is what I miss most about Minnesota in the summer.

I expect to wander around Northern Georgia, North Carolina and West Virginia for a couple weeks:
Tallulah Gorge State Park
Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway
Shenandoah Skyline Drive
Dolly Sods
CannanValley
Cathedral State Park
I was hoping to hookup with my new solo travel friend Margaret, but not sure if our paths will cross since I reversed my path. For the first time, I don't want to be tied to reservations now that camping spots have started to open up since family vacations have ended and the kids are back to school.

From here I will head to Assateague Island and I would like to skip Baltimore. Does anyone know the ferries and how I can get across the Potomac without getting into big city territory? I bet one of Scharoun cousins can help with this info.
Camping with the ponies on Assateague has been a bucket list item for decades. The Outer Banks with Kitty Hawk, Rodanthe and lighthouse after lighthouse is my dream drive.

The big stopovers south of there are Charleston and Savannah before hopping on A1A in Florida. Would love to know the must sees from anyone who has covered this coast.

The excitement of travel for me also lies in the planning. So this blog entry is the start of this new adventure.  Launch date was going to be August 28, but my foot wants to hit the gas pedal. Next entry will be from the road.
~Catherine



1 comment:

  1. Lots of history in Savanna and Charleston. The carriage drivers do a great job educating the riders. I loved the ride when we were there. And I highly recommend seeing the Outer Banks in North Carolina too. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete