March 9, 2014
Oh where do I begin? Have I not learned not to have expectations? When things are frustrating, they just are. We knew we were in for a steep learning curve, but now, the trailer is securely behind us and we are almost to the New Mexico border. We will settle in to our last two days of our 4 day reservation at City of Rocks State Park. We lost the first two days as the trailer wasn't ready to go on time and last night when we finally did get going, we hit high winds just 120 miles out of Tucson. We were advised at a gas station (with gas at $4.59 a gallon) to go the frontage road another 13 miles to overnight at a truck stop in San Simon, New Mexico. Grateful we wer
e to be settled in next to a junk pile and no longer fighting the wind. To go further may have meant dust storms with nearly zero visibility. I can't say we are thoroughly rested, semi trucks pulled in all night and trains went by every 30 minutes. The junk pile this morning afforded us a couple of bricks for a hitch block and a barn owl that exited a building vent and swooped a couple feet over our heads. Awe inspiring. It is 45 degrees on this Sunday morning.
So...the trailer. It is 1920 lbs dry weight. Pretty light right? However, I think the Saturn really feels it, but what do I know, we've never pulled anything more than a utility trailer. Right now the gas that we are sucking is alarming. Can we afford to be on the road? I hope in the next week, the romance of this lifestyle will start to woo us or I fear Gerard will want to sell The Land of Oz when we get home. Yes, the trailer revealed its name- We'll just call it OZ for short ... O (Ostos) Z (Zimney). It will take some time before I can really weigh in on this company- Kick in' Kampers out of Tucson. The trailer-OZ was still in finishing phases when we arrived. I think we really would have appreciated knowing it wasn't ready to go. Our vehicle needed equipment installed and then there were the glitches. Wrong wiring harness, needed extension mirrors, the table was not adjustable, the new swaybar installed too tightly and we lost all the bolts right out of the gate. Still next to all the trailers I looked at, this by far is the lightest and prettiest. I am amazed at how much we are able to fit in this rig and we are now officially on the road. Well, on the road is an overstatement. We're only going another 120 miles or so from our truck stop overnight.
![]() |
| truck stop San Simon, AZ |
I wonder if we will be able to stay out as long as we want. I'm not sure the money will be there. Our initial out lay and unexpected expenses are more than I anticipated. We have to get a new mattress or topper now This one is just not cutting it!
March 10, 2014
![]() |
| new staff at City of Rocks State Park |
So much can happen in 24 hours. I have new classroom. The interpretive center at City of Rocks State Park in Faywood . We are here for the next two weeks. I was absolutely blown away by what a gem this park is. In the middle of nowhere there are these wild an beautiful rock formations. They are actually ash from a volcanic eruption 35 million years ago that hardened and has been sculpted into these pillars and boulders with the erosion from the elements and time. While talking with other campers and a couple of camp hosts, we found out they were short staffed until another host couple comes in at the end of the month. So we looked at each other and said what if we stayed? Thinking we could have a couple of days to get acclimated.... We were tossed right into the deep end.. I was to be trained in this very afternoon and to work the interpretive center by myself the very next day. I needed to learn geology, local New Mexico history, the state park reservation system, how to get from here to there, local wildlife including all these rattlesnakes, all overnight. Aaaah wish me luck. Gerard was off working trails and climbing to the top of tabletop mountain this very afternoon.
So, about those rattlesnakes. I need to take Sitka to the vet and get him vaccinated ASAP another large expense we hadn't expected. The Mohave and sidewinder snakes, types of rattlers, are particularly aggressive and deadly.
This opportunity has afforded us a chance to learn this trailer and the surrounding area in a very intimate way. In he next couple weeks we will have no cell service much less internet access. When you do read this, we will be in Silver city or Deming for the day, for a long cup of coffee and some wifi. You just won't believe the view from our bedroom window.
March 11, 2014
Let me tell you about Highway... Not the road but a man we met. He's another camp host who also works the visitor center. He is a nomad to be sure. He has lived an incredible life, doing amazing things and humble to boot. Highway alerted me to needing to get Sitka vaccinated. He is a walking Wikipedia about so many things: wildlife, plants, music, motorcycles, and an extraordinary photographer. He is arapahoe, motion picture wardrobe designer, studio musician, rode with Hells Angels, and all around good guy. If his tales are stretched into elaborate lies, which I think they are, he is harmless. He'd give you the shirt off his back. His home is in Sturgis, SD, but he just travels with his dog , Chelsea and his motorcycle In his toy hauler., teaching guitar. He brought me a guitar to play and we both picked out a couple of tunes. Now, I'm working on chord progressions, if I could only remember the tune I use to play. I am off to practice, more tomorrow.
March 12, 2014
Slow down, slow way way down. It's just not happening yet. Today was better. I took a long walk around the park. Too cold for rattlesnakes, but I was still nervous until I got Sitka to the vet today for a vaccination. He keeps sticking his nose in rat holes. If he were to get bit now, he wouldn't die. We have to carry Benadryl with us wherever we hike in case. The vet said it would be best if it happens to bring the snake in too.... I don't think so!!! We have a booster injection in the refrigerator to give him in 4 weeks. Just found out that the prairie rattlesnake is also extremely aggressive, who would have ever thought that one would be happy that a western diamondback wouldn't be so bad. Here's to not seeing any at all!
Headed into Silver City. Billy the Kid was born here. It feels a little more rough around the edges than the last time we were here 7 years ago. It so makes me appreciate Duluth. Gerard wanted to move here once upon a time, but no longer. The downtown area I like. It is filled with art galleries and boutiques. We did laundry today. The laundromat has the best wifi, but still I didn't get these blog entries posted. Got the mortgage and credit cards paid, hopefully, when we make another town run.... Deming possibly. Windy as all get out today. The skies were filled with dust. With the wind, the mercury felt downright chilly.... 50s is all we saw today. I hear it was 57 degrees in Duluth yesterday. Tonight it will go down to 32 degrees. We will need to unhook our water supply. Grateful for the sun each day. Altitude hit Gerard pretty hard. His volunteer stint has been park maintenance and at 5250ft with sunshine and exertion, his face blew up like a balloon. Is there a vaccine for altitude sickness? (J/k). He's better but feeling a little worse for wear. It will take a few more days to acclimate.
Planning another slow morning tomorrow. Pancakes and bacon on the menu. Maybe a hike up to the top of tabletop mountain ... 5.25 miles. Up to 6000 ft. Maybe just read a book. I could also go for a long soak in the hot springs that are two miles down our entry road. I hear there is a woman from Stillwater working there.
March 13, 2014
Deming, New Mexico
We can't seem to find the right topper for our mattress, so an electric air mattress will have to do for now. The only consistent wifi we can find is in mc Donald's. We'll finish our online business and take Sitka hiking at Rockhound State Park today. Today we will also be in the 60s. Trying to check in with folks. Have only been able to leave a message with Erin. Good to talk to Chaz. He is feeling better today. He was in a lot of pain yesterday and so frustrated with all he can't do. He had knee surgery Monday. So this mom is feeling a little helpless.
So long post.... It will be awhile again before I can get back to you all. A wandering we will go.



Thanks for the updates ..xoxo love to you both :)
ReplyDeleteWhat about a sponser? One that can gift a gas crad! Hugs
ReplyDeletelove the idea of a sponsor!!!! who are you mr or ms hugs?!
ReplyDelete