Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Westward Ho



Tuesday, March 4
Oklahoma
We launched! Traveling across Oklahoma this morning. Yesterday was a 13 hour drive from Bloomington, Mn to Oklahoma City. We were delayed by a day as a snow and ice storm went ripping across the plains for two days. Will this winter never end?

Besides, I figured I was a bit over zealous about leaving right after the jewelry show. I was exhausted and having a relapse of the crud. Grateful we waited a day. We were able to catch Gerard's brother, Rick, at work in Des Moines for a quick hello before leaving the northland.


The trip yesterday seemed a breeze. Interstates were clear. So it came as a surprise that all the schools were closed in Oklahoma, The city streets were covered in ice. What a blessing those miles of plains are behind us. Gerard is not  the picture of health either. It is a good thing I grabbed some nyquil and dayquil to helps us get through. I drove from Albert Lea, MN to Whichita and he mostly slept... a long haul to be sure. I woke up this morning realizing maybe it's a new bug that I caught because the stomach is involved... Mardee , Margaret, should I call this the cousin flu? (We stayed with Gerard's cousins and had a great visit while we waited the storm out.) So no way can we put in another 12 hour day to Las Cruces. We will cut it short at Roswell, NM an 8 hour drive.  I am looking forward to upper 60s this afternoon and packing the parka away.
Clinton, Oklahoma
We did a short stint on Route 66. The difficulty with the long drives and HAVING to get somewhere, is that it it doesn't allow for site seeing... no time for the Route 66 museusm. As I finish typing this section, we are crossing the Texas border. It is now 45 degrees and no more snow. Sitka is an amazing traveler. He is so quiet and happy for an occasional stretch break. Soon he will be rewarded with long hikes instead of long car rides.

With only a short stop at Oasis State park, it was a long and tiring drive to Roswell, New Mexico. We bought our annual New mexico State Park pass! Camping a night's stay will be $3.75 versus the $100 a night hotel stays.

I think this cold has the better of me. I am grateful we didn't go with plan A– a 13 hour drive to Las cruces. On the up side, we have left winter behind!  We ended the evening with very good Mexican food at Los Cerritos. If you're ever passing through Roswell, I'd say it's worth a stop.
Oasis State Park, New Mexico

Wednesday March 5
Only an hour left of the drive to Tucson, we have covered interesting topography today. Climbing up to Ruidoso Downs, we witnessed the last of the snow we will see this year. Drifting down towards White Sands we spied a pistachio grove and winery. With Sitka's legs stretched and purchases in hand, we were back on the road.
looking back at Ruidoso
Pistachio anyone

I am looking forward to coming back to White Sands National Monument to play. What an extraordinary sight seeing the expanse of pure white sand in the distance, a stark contrast to all the never ending expanse of tera cotta desert. 
Tonight is our last stint at a La Quinta Inn. Every night there has been a very comfortable sleep and good space for Sitka. Tomorrow is the day we take up residence in our rolling home. Those of you who have been on this caravan journey, do these rigs share with you their name, do they reveal their gender?
our baby under construction

After spending four hours and receiving a crash course on everything RV tomorrow, we will land at our friends' house, where we can unload and setup "house". I am very grateful to them for the landing space. We will then need to run around Tucson to get the rest of what we didn't bring or couldn't fit in the car. I am hoping to get photos organized this evening and hopefully post this blog entry. Next time you hear from us may be from a coffee shop in Silver City, once we are settled into our site at City of Rocks. 'Til then, happy trails to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment