Friday, October 9, 2015

And Here We Go (or how I unfriended Joaquin)

Finally, the house is clean and becoming more sparse as we have sold more and more of our life treasures... ok yeah, and our junk. We have not sold the house ... YET, but a short term tenant found us. Breathing much more easily now that we are hitting the road. We hugged Moscow and Chino, two of our three cats and I cried yet again, before leaving them in their backyard sanctuary with Henry. We put Kole's harness on her, she knew something was up and climbed into the loaded and ready for travel ZiOs mobile. Sitka is always ready for an adventure.

Our whole itinerary took an about face. We were headed east across Ohio and West Virginia to the Eastern Seaboard, but something named Jaoquin is sending us packing a different direction. Hurricane Joaquin by itself is not responsible for the heavy rain threat. Some upper level low spinning away across the Southeast is responsible for the torrential rain and biblical flooding.  It will take several weeks for the waters to subside and untold damages do not make for a bucket list trip. I pray for a quick recovery for the region. It is unfathomable what folks must be going through. I think if I lost it all, I would definitely go on the road full-time.

It is always about getting off the interstate, isn't it? I use to travel down I-65 to visit my sis in Cincinnatti when she lived there. Never thought much of Indiana and I was kind of dreading the road getting down to the rolling hills of Kentucky... but thank you Pinterest! A little exploring Indiana boards and found waterfalls and winding country roads abound in western Indiana. In fact, were just in time for the covered Bridge Festival of Park County.

Bean blossom Bridge

So here is our new trajectory, would love to have you comment and insert places along the route that you think we should see... would love your guidance!

•Turkey Run State Park, Marshall Indiana
the covered bridges of  Park County
•the arts road- Hwy 46 going to Story, Indiana
•Bailey's Point and/or Fall Creek Falls, Mammoth Cave (thanx Heather for that suggestion)
• Yep, gonna do the touristy Lookout Mt with its Ruby Falls
•Brasstown Bald.. highest point in Georgia with expnsive views of the Appalachian Mts.
•Tallulah Gorge, Georgia
•Locust Grove, Georgia to see the lion and tiger and bear...oh my!
•the Whistle Stop Cafe in Juliette, Georgia... fried green tomatoes anyone?
•Ichetucknee Springs Fort White, Florida
•Ginnie Springs, High Pointe, Florida
and where to next?   Just follow the center line and go, I guess.

I have certainly learned about making plans... (see above- I had a whole planned itinerary along the Eastern Seaboard) so we do know to just go with the flow.

driving through Wisconsin on I-94
Our drive out of Minnesota was a fall foilage postcard. We are on a three day family hold over in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. Excited to visit with family, neighbors and hook up with a childhood friend... it's been over 40 years, right Tracy? I am hoping it will give the color down here time to catch-up with us. It is still pretty green in northern, Illinois.

“We travel not to escape life, but for life to not escape us.”- Unknown

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful, Cat - look forward to receiving your updates! Have fun and safe travels!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, i tried to set up emails but it only allows for 10 notifications :-/ is there another way to do it through blogger?

      Delete
  2. Glad you could scoot around the storm. This is the start of week 2 with no school for the Columbia SC kids.

    ReplyDelete