Glamp On
Taking a short intermission from Gerard’s and my road trip. I stayed with my mother for a few days while Gerard took flight to Minnesota to celebrate his mom’s birthdays, yes, I said birthdays. those who are friends of Bill will understand.
 |
| Coral Castle |
Even though I had intended to persuade my mom to go on the road for a few days, it turned out I had to vacate the premises. Crochetedy old people were employing the condo association rules and kicking me out. So my mom packed a bag and came along for the ride. She's never camped a day in her life! We headed down Highway 41 through Miccosukee country. My mother had never been. When going to the east coast, my folks always took I-75, Alligator Alley. We were heading that direction because I wanted to visit the Coral Castle, a structure built by one man to unrequited love.
Ed Leedshalnin was born in Latvia in 1887. In 1913, he was engaged to marry Agnes Scruffs, but the day before they were to marry she called off the wedding. Broken hearted, Ed left Latvia and eventually landed in Southern Florida and for reasons only known to himself, he chose to carve the Coral Castle in Florida City. Long story short, he worked by night and only by himself with just hand-made tools, he spent 28 years carving all the structures on the property. But wait, I said he started in Florida City, but bought property then he bough property in Homestead. With the oncoming Highway 41 coming through, he decided this would be a better location for people to see his creation. H moved these massive structures weighing hundreds of tons to the new property 10 miles away!!! You have to see this if you are ever wandering down to the Everglades or the Keys. It will be worth the side trip.
 |
| camped in the avocado grove |
Being southern Florida–IN SEASON– there is literally no room at the inn or campgrounds for that matter. We managed to find a space on the outskirts of Miami in an avocado grove. The days were warmish. I enjoyed cooking Chicken Marsala and garlic mashed potatoes to show my
mom, you don’t have to eat hobo packets over the fire
. Even so, we brought Girl Scout Thin Mints. Of course, a good bottle of wine makes for perfection. We stayed two nights before heading north.
 |
| camped in the tomato fields |
Earlier this year I joined a group called Harvest Hosts. With membership I was given a directory to a variety of wineries, alpaca farms, fresh markets that folks can overnight for free. The only obligation is to purchase or participate in some way in the hosts' business. We headed for Bedner’s Fresh Market in Boynton Beach. Bedners is a sustainable farm It is a u-pick farm as well as having a delightful market. The market is stocked with their fresh produce as well as wines and fresh breads. We bought some wine, roma tomatoes, and fresh basil. We situated ourselves behind the market overlooking the fields. It was Friday night. We watched all the workers come in from the fields. It was wonderful to learn that the produce food that is healthy to eat, doesn't harm the environment, is humane for workers, respects animals, provides fair wages and supports and enhances the community. Bedners pays very fair wages.
so many folks live here year round in a camp on the premises.
 |
| Strawberry Fields Forever |
 |
| Fresh Basil, roma tomatoes, spicy mozzarella on garlic herb bread drizzled with balsamic and olive oil |
On weekends they have barbecue, corn roasting, petting zoo and camel rides. I think I ate the best piece of roasted corn I have ever had. Earlier in the morning, Sitka and I walked the strawberry fields for our morning hike. I don’t think I remember strawberry fields as aromatic as these.
So on to the ZiOs mobile issues. Yep, we were doing just fine and thank goodness we had an appointment for Monday to take the van in for some cosmetic details before leaving on this trip. Because I think our inverter is shot. More next post....
No comments:
Post a Comment