
Living on one of the world's two largest fresh water lakes offers stunning winter vistas. Lake Superior stretches before me like an ocean. Sheets of lake ice collect along the beach like crystalline castles. No walking on water today. I am missing my off-leash space for the pup. The snow today is heavy and wet. However, temperatures are moderate and I am content to have Sitka determine where our two hour walk will lead. I have never enjoyed my time outside in the winter as much as I have this year–with the exception of the perfect day skiing. Snow shoes are on my wish list. I can only imagine winter becoming even more magical. I look forward to further exploration of breaking trails past frozen falls that stand still like opaque curtains. The silence is palpable. The crunch of my step in the frozen snow is the only sound that allows the world the knowledge of my existence.
We make our way home for hot tea and lunch. As the snow drifts and the world quiets, it
seems right to settle in front of my fire and read the afternoon away. I towel off the dog. The fire starts at the strike of a match. I finish my exercise regimen with my yoga practice, then draw a hot bath. I will then pull the wing chair and foot rest closer to the fire, settle in to spin a web to collect future plans and dreams.~With years a richer life begins. The spirit mellows. John Townsend Trowbridge
No comments:
Post a Comment